Monday, January 26, 2009

First Blog post





Well I finally gave in and created a blog! Seems like you just can't get by without one these days!
I kept telling myself I didn't think I had enough time for a blog too, but I guess one can always make time.


My blog name comes from a couple places, my daughter used to call herself "the nut in the hut" when she was little and it has been a phrase that has stuck with us. It is a bit of a joke since my husband has his Doctorate in the mental health field.


Little did we know that one day a wee little orphaned squirrel would come running up to us in our backyard and demand that we take him in and rescue him.

Since this is not an everyday occurance, our first instinct was to run screaming as this tiny little furry thing came at us and hopped on top of my husbands feet. With a call to our vet we found out it was ok and we gave in. After finding a manual on rehabbing squirrels, and finding out he was only about 6 weeks old and could not even climb a tree or hold up his own tail we quickly set up a bunny hutch for him.

We named him Bonkers. He is quite a character. It has been such a wonderful experience and we have learned so much. I am happy to say after a few months we have released him and he lives in a 100 year old Maple tree in our backyard. Of course he comes when called and we still feed him but now he is an official squirrel.

So now "nut in the hut" has even another meaning to our family.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of Blogging. I find that it has helped my creativity immensely. I love how you came up with your blog name. Bonkers is just way cool. That could be the name of one of our cats but we named him Stoner instead. Has to do with where our daughter found him when he was born. I don’t want to know the whole story of that but trust me he lives up to his name

    I look forward to visiting your blog

    ReplyDelete